Friday, December 19, 2014

Hannah Update

Thanks everyone for praying for Hannah and her neurology appointment. It did not go as well as we prayed for. It was not all bad but there was not a lot of hope that the doctor gave us for things to be normal. He told us that there was a good chance she would develop epilepsy. In fact a 70% chance she will have some degree of epileptic seizures. He stated even though she has developed correctly so far we will see delays. How severe he couldn't say. As I rewind the conversation in my head I notice he continually chose not to say hopeful things. Basically, he compared her brain damage to a scar that would never heal. How bad that damage is may take years to reveal, but don't expect normal. 

This information is what I'd read on the internet, but I just long for normal. We purposely prayed daily during Ellie's pregnancy for a normal, healthy baby.  This is not normal though, and I am just sad. I think about my loss and I feel guilty because Hannah's loss is greater.  It seems there are too many thoughts to take captive right now.  Based on her brain the doctor believes that Hannah acquired the virus in late second to third trimester. He said it was acquired randomly somewhere in Louisville. Ellie and I were already struggling with our move to Louisville because of the great community we had in Austin.  Now it is hard not to say:  "If I wouldn't have moved my family to Louisville everything would be normal". "Did I miss something?" "Did I manipulate this move and not listen to the Lord?" "Am I Jonah or Job in this story?" I know that even if we were not meant to be in Louisville it does not matter. I know that looking back is not what God wants. 
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

I also see where I put my hope. My hope right now is in "normal" whatever that is. Ellie sent me a blog yesterday here . It spoke to us and the writer, who just discovered her husband had cancer, went through this verse “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.” (‭Jeremiah‬ ‭17‬:‭7-8‬ ESV). We feel the heat and my trust is wavering. I seek out and pray for this trust as the drought is here.  I pray that our trust and hope is in the Lord not "normal". 

The verses for the day on the blog were some verses I have been praying through. 
Psalm 46:1, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (NIV)
Psalm 118:14a, “The LORD is my strength and my song.” (ESV)
Please pray, as Ellie and I don't feel very strong right now.  Pray that we would feel His strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment