Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Emotions of Moving

One could say I've moved a lot in my adult years.  I went "off" to college (only 3 hours away, but a lot for me).  Then I went across an ocean to live in East Asia for 6 years, then to Boston, Austin and now Louisville.  There is part of me that thinks this should get easier.  The packing up, de-cluttering, exploring a new place, meeting new friends.  Well, the truth is I am low change.  I think if this life were up to me I would stay in one place, especially after having a child.  I like my routine, my Bible study, my life.  However, my husband is HIGH change.  He likes to see new places, have new experiences, work in different areas of his field, etc.  It breathes life into him.  I'm glad God put us together. I'm glad on the days when the emotions of moving set in and I cry for the 10th time that day I can look to him and see the hope and anticipation in his eyes.

One day last week after telling a sweet friend that we decided to move I got off the phone and literally broke down with just Eli there to comfort me.  However, since he's so young he didn't get it and actually thought he should laugh rather than pat me on the shoulder and tell me everything was going to be alright (don't you love 1 year olds!)  So, I preceded to text Keith and tell him I wasn't doing very well.  At that moment nothing seemed easy to me, the decision to move to Louisville was rocking our my whole world and I couldn't believe I had said "yes" to this just days before.  Keith called me when he got a minute and shared words that were definitely from the Lord and brought me back into reality.  Was I really worried that the Lord wouldn't provide community, a church, friends, a house?  All things that I have seen him lavishly give us here in Austin and I think he will just stop now?  The truth is I know these things will come, it will just take time.  I may have lonely days but God is still faithful and I know the Lord is taking us to Louisville for a purpose.

Since we decided to move we started praying that we would see the Lord guide us through this process and He has yet to let us down.  We actually sold our house here in Austin 6 days after we said yes to Louisville which is just amazing.  That means no cleaning up the house for showings (which would be next to impossible with an 18 mo running around) and it also means we can move out whenever we need to.  We sold it to a sweet family in our church who have been renting in our neighborhood.  They have two young kids and have even been over here to play.  It is fun to think this house will still be filled with laughter, baby sounds and prayer. This makes it easier to leave.

We are still working on the complete details of our move, (I'll update you when we know when we will set out on our 15+ hour drive).  We are looking at houses in LV and trust the Lord has the perfect one picked out.  Thanks for praying for us when you think of it, it really means so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment