Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Music to My Ears

As a 'new' Mama of a deaf or hard of hearing (HOH) child I seem to learn something new every week.

Such as...
Changing and cleaning hearing aids and molds
Pointing out and talking about everything in sight (yes, I'm the lady at the grocery store who looks like she's talking to herself, while Hannah looks the other way). 
And making all sorts of sounds to see if Hannah can hear them. 

I have learned that while a regular hearing baby learns sounds and words passively, a HOH child needs to learn them directly. So I must be much more intentional when speaking to Hannah. 

I know kids don't speak at 8 months, but lots of verbal processes are already in the works. 

Well, Monday this Mama was rewarded by hearing her start babbling!!

Right now it's a lot of babababa and wawawawa. Music to my ears! 

Before Monday she did make noises, but nothing that showed us she was distinguishing sounds, just a lot of long or short (kind of yelling) sounds. 

We are rejoicing that even with her limited hearing she is learning and that her brain is hearing too! 

I'm video (posting) impaired so I can't leave you with proof, but I'll post a cute pic. 



"The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17






No comments:

Post a Comment